As the winter months go by, many people are looking for natural remedies for coughs and colds. There are many different cough medicines on the market, but not all of them work well to alleviate the symptoms. Honey is a sweet-tasting substance that has been used as a remedy for sore throat and cough for centuries. It is also a great remedy for sore throats because it stimulates saliva production, which helps relieve the dryness caused by coughing. For children, honey is a natural home remedy for coughs that will soothe them so they can get back to sleep easily and peacefully.
5 Reasons Why Honey Better Than Other Cough Medication
- more effective at reducing coughing
- it can be taken without water
- won't produce an adverse reaction with other medications you might take
- has no side effects to worry about if you have diabetes or high blood pressure.
- honey has anti-bacterial properties that can help with coughs by removing bacteria from the throat.
Which Honey Should I Choose?
The type of honey you choose will depend on what your needs are. Raw, local honey is the best choice for those who want to reap the health benefits of honey while supporting the bee population.
Regular honey, although cheaper, has been pasteurised which destroys many of the beneficial enzymes and nutrients found in the raw honey. This can lead to a less than optimal nutritional profile and some important health benefits may be lost.